Saturday, August 14, 2010

Emergency Room

So, Monday was our first trip to the ER with Stella. That is not something I would like to relive. She ended up having croup.....where she got that, I don't know.

She started with a little cough Sunday, and already had an appt Monday to get an immunization. So, the doc checked her out and said it looked like she had some allergies (which we already knew), and gave us a prescription for some Zyrtec. I got home from work and she was fine - just a cough a little runny nose. Well, by 8pm she sounded worse and was getting very cranky. My mom came over to listen to her since I thought she sounded weezy and thought she may be having an asthma attack. We call the doctor and she called in a prescription for a breathing treatment (we have a nebulizer because I have asthma). We did the treatment and she sounded ever worse! At that point she was inconsolable and not breathing well at all. My mom said it was time to go to the ER and the doc agreed.

Well, poor Stella was just feeling awful. We got to the ER about 10:30 and were there until 2:45. It was one of those stand alone Memorial Hermann ER's, so we didn't have to wait to be seen, which was good. Stel had a fever of about 103 and ended up having to have some xrays to rule out other problems. She had xrays twice, another breathing treatment, a steroid shot, Tylenol and Motrin (it took a while for her fever to start to come down). She couldn't have any milk while she had a fever so the nurse gave us some Pedialyte - which I think Stella actually enjoyed and it helped to calm her down a little around 1am. By the time we left she was tuckered out and was able to sleep with me holding her upright until 7am.

Not a pleasant day at all. She is feeling better now, just has a cough and is a bit horse. The doctor said the cough should go away in a week or two. All the precautions I take to keep her from getting sick, and the first time she does we end up in the ER.....oy!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. I remember the first time Gabriel was ill and we spent the night at the ER here and then transferred by ambulance to TX Children's. The hardest night I've ever. You did great though, and so glad she's doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least I know I stay calm in a crisis and can function quite well (even on no sleep!!).....Andy on the other hand, not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for throwing me under the bus honey, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making it through seeing little ones sick and in the ER means we can make it through anything. :) so glad she's feeling better.

    ReplyDelete